FINRA Manual: Contents
|View Whole Section||Text only||Print Manager||Link|
99-70 NASD Regulation Announces New Web-Based FOCUS Filing System — To Be Available For September 1999 Filings
Legal & Compliance
NASD Regulation, Inc. (NASD Regulation®) is announcing the replacement of the current PC FOCUSSM application with a Web-based, Internet version. Web-based FOCUS will be available to members for the September 1999 FOCUS filing.
Please note that the PC FOCUS application, which operates through Sprint, will not be available for the September filing. In this regard, it is imperative that you immediately forward this Notice to the Financial & Operational Principal at your firm.
Questions concerning this Notice may be directed to Elizabeth Wollin, Member Regulation, NASD Regulation, at (301) 590-6743.
Preparing For Web-Based FOCUS
To prepare for filing monthly, quarterly, and annual FOCUS filing through Web-based FOCUS, members must complete the appropriate entitlement forms (User Account Acknowledgment Form and Account Administrator Entitlement Form—see below). The forms are being mailed to members. Members will not be able to access Web-based FOCUS until the entitlement forms are fully and accurately completed and submitted. Members must take the following steps:
- Read and execute the "User Account Acknowledgment Form (UAAF)." The original UAAF must be signed and returned to NASD Regulation via mail or courier. Faxed copies will not be accepted. Web-based FOCUS application utilizes the same entitlement functionality as the Web Central Registration Depository (CRDSM) system. The UAAF is a modified version of the form members completed to authorize Web CRD entitlement. Members may designate their Web CRD Account Administrator to also serve as their Web-based FOCUS Account Administrator.
- Complete and return the "Account Administrator Entitlement Form" so that specific privileges may be assigned to the Account Administrator.
Members must complete and submit these forms no later than August 31, 1999. If this deadline is missed, the setup of Web-based FOCUS accounts may be delayed. Once these forms are processed, a confirmation package will be sent to members' Account Administrators with user account and initial password information. For assistance in completing the entitlement forms, please call (800) 321-NASD.
System Highlights Of Web-Based FOCUS
- Create and submit FOCUS forms—Schedule I, Part II, and Part IIA.
- View a list of upcoming filing requirements.
- Print FOCUS filings from your printer.
- Upload a FOCUS filing from your computer.
- Access Web-based FOCUS from any workstation running either Microsoft's Internet Explorer 4.01 SP2 or Netscape's browser version 4.05 or higher. Members will not need to install any additional software on their workstation.
- Utilize the Secure Socket Layer (SSL) security built into your browser to protect your data.
- Access any historical FOCUS filings online.
- Download your filings in existing PC FOCUS format over the Internet to meet your company's record retention needs and submit the filings to other agencies.
- PIN numbers will no longer be required. However, users will have to be 'entitled' to access the application.
- Access is controlled using a user identification and password. Web-based FOCUS uses the same security mechanisms as Web CRD. A single individual may have his/her identification authorized to access both the CRD and FOCUS systems.